Climate activists protest by defacing art | UPSC
Just Stop Oil, Letzte Generation, Ultima Generazione, Stopp Oljeletinga, Stop Fossil Fuel Subsidies, Extinction Rebellion, Stop Fracking Around, A22 Network, Climate Emergency Fund
- Context: Activists protesting government inaction on climate change have defaced famous paintings in museums across Europe.
- The attacks have targeted some of the most celebrated images in history, including:
- "Mona Lisa," by Leonardo da Vinci
- "The Scream," by Edvard Munch
- "Sunflowers," by Vincent van Gogh
- "Girl with a Pearl Earring," by Johannes Vermeer
Who are the activists attacking art?
- Though a few activists acted independently, most of the protesters are part of organizations grouped within nations.
a) Just Stop Oil (U.K)
- The organization says it is a coalition of groups cooperating to get the government to halt exploration, development and production of fossil fuels.
b) Letzte Generation (Germany and Austria)
- The group says it wants the government to address climate change, starting with a speed limit of 60 mph on German highways and affordable public transport.
c) Ultima Generazione (Italy)
- The group says it is a campaign of non-violent civil disobedience that has asked the government to halt reopening shuttered coal-fired plants, cease drilling for natural gas, and expand solar and wind power generation.
d) Stopp Oljeletinga (Norway)
- The group says it wants a halt to all oil exploration on the Norwegian continental shelf.
e) Stop Fossil Fuel Subsidies (Australia)
- The group says it's a non-partisan organization that uses non-violent civil resistance to seek an end to government subsidies to the fossil fuel industry.
f) Extinction Rebellion (international)
- The organization says it is a non-partisan international movement that uses non-violent action and civil disobedience to get governments to act on climate change.
g) Stop Fracking Around (Canada)
- A Canadian group demanding an end to fracked gas.
- Five of these groups, Just Stop Oil, Letzte Generation, Ultima Generazione, Stop Fossil Fuel Subsidies and Stopp Oljeletinga, are part of the A22 Network.
- A22 is an international organization with the goal of raising public awareness of climate change and forcing governments to act.
- The Climate Emergency Fund is the primary funder of A22. Climate Emergency Fund was established in 2019 to support to climate activists taking part in non-violent protest, according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
For more resources join our free Telegram Channel
MCQs asked from clevernotes in UPSC IAS Prelims 2020, 2021 and 2022: Accountability
What subscribers of clevernotes say about us: Testimonials
Attempt MCQs on the above topic: clevertraps
To get the above articles in the form of printer-friendly daily, weekly and monthly subject-wise compilations GET clevernotes